Faith, Family, and Flip Flops

Faith, Family, and Flip Flops

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Legacy Of Faith


With Pioneer Day approaching, my mind is full of thoughts of my ancestors, a few weeks ago I was able to attend a family reunion on the Fenton side there they had made copies of a record written by my great, great aunt Estelle. I was so impressed when I read these records about my Great, Great, Great Grandmother Ann Cook West and her pilgrimage to the "Land of Promise" I have decided to share just a few entries that struck my heart, and has given me a glimpse of what my family had to go through to grow the Kingdom. A little back ground Ann Cook was born in 1824 in Draycott, Derby England and was Baptised 1848 she married my great, great, great, Grandfather Nov,1854 and sailed for America Jan 1855, this entry is about the ship voyage to America, and crossing the plains.

"The ship Charles Buck left Liverpool with 402 saints aboard it. Passengers were required to bring their own food and bedding. The sea was rough and they encountered many storms. Cholera broke out on the ship and a number had to be buried at sea. Food had to be rationed and many were ill. Grandmother ( this is aunt Estelle speaking) told of one woman whose baby died and she carried it with her wrapped in a shawl, for three days to keep the ships officer from knowing that it was dead...she couldn't stand to have it lowered into the sea. The ship moored at New Orleans 1855 at least eight weeks on the ocean under very trying conditions...They crossed the plains with the forth company of immigrants. There were 402 saints with 45 wagons, they had to walk most of the way. When the company arrived at Mormon Grove, Grandmother ( Ann cook West) was exhausted from privation and to much walking. Her baby was born under an umbrella which was held over her to protect her from rain.... she was left in such bad physical condition that she suffered from it the rest of her life. This pioneer company arrived in S.L.C Sept 1855. Grandfather had 50 cents and grandma had two black silk dresses and a bustle, stuffed with white silk gloves. Grandma pulled her dresses apart and sold the silk for trimmings...a yard at a time She also de-busseled the bussel and sold the gloves."
Later in the record Estelle talks about the conditions of living in a dug out, and how the ground was infested with fleas. How amazing the scarifies this woman went through to live and follow the Gospel! In the record it later speaks about how prosperous they became later ,and how generous and hard working both of them were outside and within the Church. I am so extremely grateful for their Legacy of Faith! They were doing what the Lord commaned them to do, what a beautiful example of faith, thank you, thank you, my dearest Great Great Great Grandma Ann!





2 comments:

Charlene Roberts said...

What a beautiful and rich story to share. You too are a great example of a woman with amazing faith.

You have been one of greatest strengths to me over this past year. I have learned a lot from you and your love radiates.

Sarah said...

Hey Jess,
I read through those too. Pretty neat huh? We take for granted how easily we attend church each week! It's cool to have those memories documented! Glad you shared them.
Love ya!