Faith, Family, and Flip Flops

Faith, Family, and Flip Flops

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Being Content


Well, the girls and I have been into our school year almost a whole month! At first I entered with a bit of trepidation. Homeschooling has been one of the hardest but most rewarding things I have ever done. With this being our second year, I was worried that it would be as hard as the first, so now with school started and rolling I am glad to say that it has been a delight, that dosen't mean that Shiloh dosen't throw a fit when it is time to do phonics or that savannah isn't thrilled to read to me for 45 mins, but I can finally see the rewards. Shiloh has begun reading books, and liking it! Savannahs math capablities have increased and I can see some confidence coming from the whole experience. What a wonderful joy to be with my girls ( that dosn't mean I don't drive pass elementary schools tempted to kick their cute little rears out the door, so I can go to the spa and have me time, I'm only human).

I loved sister Marjorie Hinckley, in my mind I sort of adopted her as a grandmother, so today I was reading her words and it remined me of being a mother and finding joy in our children.


"Find joy in your children. Don't overschedule them or yourself. You may not be able to take them on exotic vacations. It dosen't matter. When the day dawns bright and sunny, take an excursion to the canyons or the park. When it's cloudy and wet, read a book together or make somthing good to eat. Give them time to explore and learn about the feel of grass and the wiggliness of worms."


Willam Blake wrote " When the voices of children are heard on the green

And laughing is heard on the hill,

My heart is at rest within my breast

And everything else is still."


I am content.

6 comments:

Bri!!! said...

Jess, You are a total stud.

Charlene Roberts said...

This is one of my favorite entries. I so share the passion of raising little ones, very choice. What a beautiful way to view motherhood...
"being content" It can become so easy to get caught up in the selfish ways of life and as we mothers know it's the most giving and most rewarding role. I have sure learned a lot from you and hold you dear to my heart.

Leake's said...

You are amazing and I am thankful to be called your friend. I learn so much from you and Jason. Giddyup!

Michael J said...

Jessica,

Your kids are so blessed to have you schooling them. Far in the future when I have kids, I'll come asking advice on how the hell you do it?

Keep it up sister.

-Mike

Jason said...

Jess,
I am a lucky man to have such a great wife.

Angela said...

Great blog- I jumped here from another! Love the advice and the information- especially on sugar ! I will be back!