Faith, Family, and Flip Flops

Faith, Family, and Flip Flops

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

cartwheels!


I had a great experience at the gardens a few weeks ago, The girls and I decided to head out because it was one of the first sunny days we have had in a long time. I love the way everything comes back to life in the spring including parts of my soul. Being out in the fresh air, seeing all the colorful aromatic blooms was intoxicating for us, we had been couped up for a very long and harsh winter. Anyhow I thought it would be fun to teach Shiloh how to do cartwheels, so I tucked in my shirt and went to it, my first few attempt were laughable but it came back just like riding a bike. Shiloh and I got good and dizzy turning over and turning over, I think a few times I actually fell but I didn't care there wasn't really anyone around to see my 31 year old self flipping over and falling. So after my so called lesson we wandered up the hill to get a drink, and on the way I noticed a nice elderly couple had been watching us, I said hello to the nice looking women and we proceeded to the drinking fountain as the couple walked passed us they stopped and The gentleman "looked at me with a jolly eye and a laugh in his voice and asked me if I wouldn't mind teaching him how to do cartwheels as well, laughed and then I realized I was talking to an apostle of the Lord, Elder Tom Perry! It was really a wonderful day, later I thought about his comment and what he said holds so true to his book "Living with enthusiasm". I think we as a society have gotten in the habit of negativity. I hear alot more "I have to's" Than "I get to's" and that includes myself, really this life is a bottomless pitcher of blessings if we choose to recognize them or change the way we see them. I am so thankful for the Gospel in my life, being a member of Christ true church here on earth today. I have been given so many opportunities to serve in turn I am more blessed than I was before so I am going to try to remember "I get to's "and "I have an opportunity to" in my life and take what may seem a irritating gain of sand and remember to keep in mind that only pearls come from being positive!

4 comments:

Jason said...

Jess,
You are an amazing person. Thanks for your great example.

Bri!!! said...

Jess,

That is so cool! What are the chances? I also think it's so cute that Jason comments on all your blogs. What a sweetheart.

Love you girl.

Bri

Jessica said...

Bri, you are one of the coolest gals I know!
Jess P.

Andrea said...

That is so amazing! You always see the general authorities so "prim and proper" it is fun to see them in "real life". How cute that he asked you to teach him to do a cartwheel. How fun that you were doing them with your girls. You are such a fun mom! I love your blog.